Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Pink Hair

If you have blonde or light colored hair, this tutorial can show how to add pink. It might be fun to have pastel-colored hair for spring. And, if you don't want to do it to yourself, perhaps a grandchild would enjoy having a tint after school ends for the year. Think what a cool grandmother you would be to help add fun color to their darling locks. I think it best to first consult the said grand child's parents before going pink or any other color.

How to color your hair pink
Hey guys! This post is for those of your who were asking me how I colored my hair pink.

And to those of you who are asking me WHY I colored my hair pink I can only tell that
1. I love my blonde hair, but I had it for too long and need a change.
2. I love pink hair :) To each its own, you know!
3. Products that I use are hair-friendly and wash out really quickly, so there are no risks and no commitment, just pure fun! To me, my blonde hair is still there and it's not going anywhere lol



So far I tried 2 different products. They are both ammonia-free toners that do not damage your hair. BUT they work only on blonde hair - either natural, colored, or bleached. The lighter your hair is, the more vibrant pink you're going to obtain.

In photos in this post I have my entire hair colored pink, while in my earlier post you can see photos of pink highlights that I had before.

L'Oreal Chroma Care

The first time it was just a strand test with L'Oreal Chroma Care toning conditioners. I applied it onto the bottom layers of my hair to get an ombre effect with pink ends.



Application

#6 is a red-pigmented toner, while #2 is a light purple one. #6 is usually used to revive red color, while #2 eliminated brassy pigments from light blondes. To achieve a beautiful pastel pink, I added just a couple of red drops into the purple toner. I applied the mixture onto my shampooed and towel dried hair and rinsed it after ~30 minutes.


Fading

The color I obtained was a super pretty baby pink, a very very light one. If you'd like to get a vibrant pink, I don't think these toners would do the job. Because if you'd add more red, the mixture would turn red rather than pink. The color itself didn't last long at all - it was totally gone after I washed my hair twice. So taking into account the high price of these products, I wasn't really happy about it. But for some of you who'd like to change their hair color only for a couple of days, these toners could be a perfect solution. Though I don't think they'd work on darker blonde hair. Since they produce a really light pastel color, your hair should be a very light or platinum blonde (level 10 or 9).

Effect on hair

These toners are at once conditioners, so they have nothing but a good effect on your hair.


Paul Mitchell Ink Works

The second toner I tried was Ink Works from Paul Mitchell. I found it when I was looking for a professional products for hair lamination. I bought both transparent and pink toners, and they met all my expectations.



Application

So here is how I use it. I grab any hair conditioner and add several drops of Hot Pink into it. On the photo above you can see that the color of the toner isn't exactly pink, but mixed with a white conditioner, it creates a pink mixture. So I keep on adding this toner drop by drop and mixing it with the conditioner until the color of the mixture corresponds to the color I want to have on my hair. So far I was applying it onto my dry hair and leaving it on for ~30 minutes.

I already used this toner to color my own hair 3 times (firstly just highlights, then my entire head) as well as to color a set of my hair extensions (which is really A LOT of hair), and you can tell that the bottle is not even half empty yet!! So this product is really cost-effective and I can really recommend it.

If you're wondering how I've colored my clip-in hair extensions (my own hair is shoulder length, so in all of my long hair tutorials I'm using the extensions for that extra length and volume), I did it just like I've shown in one of my previous tutorials linked below. This time I only used Ink Works instead of Wella products.
Fading 
It's written on the bottle that the toner is supposed to lasts ~20 washes and I think it's true. The color is washing off really gradually though, it's hard to tell the difference after a single wash. But over time it does fade, and it fades really beautifully. That's another thing that I loved about it. I started with a kind of a vibrant electric pink which gradually washed out though gorgeous pastel shades of baby pink. So if you love pink, you'll totally enjoy the entire experience! I think after 10 washes the color becomes really light, but is still takes another 10 washes till it is gone completely. And of course, you can re-tone you hair any time you feel like.


Effect on hair

Another great thing about Ink Works is that I just loved the condition of my hair after using it. It felt healthier and thicker, much more shiny than when it's blonde.

And how about you?

Leave a comment and let me know if have ever colored your hair crazy colors and what was your experience with them. Which products did you use? Were they good for your hair? How long did they last? Or what color would you like to try in the future :)



Here are a couple of photos of the entire outfit I was wearing the other day.
I love to pair my pink hair with boho chic clothes and this maxi skirt is one of my favorites.

(I don't think Suffragettes of the 1920s would go for this outfit or the pink hair. They campaigned for greater freedom from corsets and restrictive clothes such as hobble skirts which were in style when they began. To draw attention to their cause, they wore three particular colors---purple, white, and green---which stood for loyalty, purity, and hope. In their publication, Votes for Women, a regular feature called "Concerning Dress" focused on fashion. It also published a list of businesses that provided garments and accessories in the suffragette colors. BBL (from 20th Century Fashion by Sue Mee.)



1 comment:

  1. You are soooo lovely! I do love your pink hair, and your adventurous nature. I have always wanted to dye my hair pink! Maybe even purple. It looks great on you. How fun!
    Thank you for sharing about the products and process!
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete